General Information on Deplin
Deplin is a mineral supplement that is a form of folic acid. You can buy Deplin to treat certain medical conditions related to folate deficiency. The generic name for this medication is I-methylfolate,
Folic acid is the synthetic form of folate, which is a naturally produced form of vitamin B required for red blood cell production in the body. While folate occurs naturally in certain food, folic acid is a constituent of processed food and mineral or vitamin supplements.
A folate deficiency may occur due to some medical conditions or some medicines, or because of reduced folate content in the daily diet. A person may suffer from reduced red blood cell count or anemia as a result of folate deficiency.
Side effects of Deplin
You cannot buy Deplin as an antidepressant, but the effects of antidepressants may be enhanced by this drug. This medication is not to be taken without the clear instruction and advice of a doctor. It must also not be shared with others even you seem to share the same condition with them.
Alcohol must be avoided at all costs while you are taking Deplin. If you are taking any seizure medications, you must tell your doctor about it before Deplin is prescribed for you. Moreover, the doctor must be aware if you are suffering from bipolar disorder, or if you have a history of such disorders. You must also inform your doctor if you suffer from pernicious anemia or vitamin B12 deficiency.
Deplin may induce an allergic reaction in very rare cases. If you suffer from the following allergy symptoms, you must stop taking Deplin and get immediate medical assistance- swollen lips, throat and face, breathing problems and the appearance of hives. Other mild side effects that would be caused by Deplin include bitterness in the mouth, flatulence, bloating, loss of appetite and mild nausea.
Dosage of Deplin
You can buy Deplin for the following conditions:
- For patients suffering from a higher than normal level of amino acid in the blood. This condition is known as hyperhomocysteinemia. This medical condition may be caused when a patient takes methotrexate, which may be related to folate deficiency.
- For women who have high-risk pregnancy and need additional folate in the diet for preventing hyperhomocysteinemia.
- For patients of certain forms of anemia that could worsen by folate deficiency.
- For patients suffering from major depressive disorders and who suffer from folate deficiency as well. Deplin may be given along with anti-depressive medicines for such patients.
- For schizophrenia patients who are suffering from hyperhomocysteinemia.
You must only use the brand and dosage strength of Deplin prescribed by your doctor. Do not a dosage larger than prescribed or continue the medication for longer than prescribed. Deplin may be taken before or after meals, but you must follow the instructions provided by your doctor.
Deplin is known to interact with several medications, including seizure medicines, birth control pills and NSAIDs. Before Deplin is prescribed, you must share the complete list of medicines you are taking with your doctor.