General Information on Kenalog Injection
Kenalog Injection is administered either intramuscularly or intraarticularly. It is specifically used in replacement therapy and for its powerful anti-inflammatory effects in variety of disorders of system and organs. Kenalog Injection intramuscular is used for the following reasons:
- To control severe allergic conditions in treatment in atopic dermatitis, drug hypersensitivity reactions, serum sickness, and contact dermatitis
- To treat dermatologic diseases such as pemphigus, exfoliative erythroderma, severe erythema multiforme, bullous dermatitis herpetiformis, mycosis fungoides
- To treat endocrine disorders such as hypercalcemia associated with cancer, congenital adrenal hyperplasia, nonsuppurative thyroiditis
- To treat hematologic disorders such as pure red cell aplasia, diamond-blackfan anemia, selected cases of thrombocytopenia, acquired hemolytic anemia
- In the treatment of rheumatic disorders which includes systemic lupus erythematosus, psoriatic arthritis, juvenile rheumatoid arthritis, acute rheumatic carditis, ankylosing spondylitis, dermatomyositis, rheumatoid arthritis, polymyositis or acute gouty arthritis
- To treat ophthalmic diseases such as temporal arteritis, Sympathetic ophthalmia, uveitis
- In the treatment of neoplastic diseases which includes lymphomas, leukemias
- In the treatment of diseases related to nervous system such as multiple sclerosis, cerebral edema
Kenalog Injection is given intraarticularly to treat variety of medical conditions which includes acute and subacute bursitis, rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis, nonspecific tenosynovitis, acute gouty arthritis, synovitis, or epicondylitis.
Triamcinolone, the main active ingredient in the medication, is a corticosteroid. It is actually a man-made form of a natural hormone. The medication works by blocking the release of specific chemicals important to the immune system. These chemicals play an important role in invoking an allergic response.
Kenalog Injection is supplied in vials, each vial containing 40 mg Triamcinolone Acetonide per mL. It is a prescription medication, so you should buy Kenalog Injection only if it is recommended in the treatment by your doctor.
Side effects of Kenalog Injection
Kenalog Injection may cause side effects in some people. Dizziness, pain, flushing and swelling are some common side effects that may be experienced by patients after taking the Kenalog shot. Some people may also experience side effects such as increased appetite and weight gain, muscle weakness, water retention, menstrual disturbances, hypertension, osteoporosis, psychiatric reactions (such as suicidal thoughts, mood changes), psychotic reactions(such as hallucinations, delusions) or sleep disturbances.
Raised blood sugar level, nausea, pancreatitis, skin thinning, bruising, increased hair growth, Cushing’s syndrome, decrease in potassium levels in the blood, hiccups, cataracts, glaucoma and blood clots in the blood vessels are also some side effects associated with Kenalog Injection. The side effects mentioned above are rare and appear when the medication is injected in or around joint.
Dosage of Kenalog Injection
The Kenalog Injection is given by a trained medical professional in a hospital or an office setting. The initial recommended dose of Kenalog Injection for intra-articular administration is generally in the range of 2.5mg to 5mg for smaller joints and 5mg to 15mg for larger joints. The dosage also depends on the specific medical condition that is being treated.
The maximum initial dose of Kenalog Injection for intra-dermal administration is 1.0mg per injection site. You may be required to take several intra-dermal Kenalog Injections at small intervals to prevent side effects and health complications.
Kenalog Injection may interact with other medicines you are using and cause side effects. It may interact with Aminoglutethimide, Amphotericin B injection and potassium-depleting agents, antibiotics, Anticoagulants, Antidiabetics, Cyclosporine, Ketoconazole, hepatic enzyme inducers, NSAIDs, vaccines or oral contraceptives. Tell doctor about every medicine you are using (such as prescription drugs, over the counter medicines and herbal supplements) before starting the treatment. Buy Kenalog Injection only after doctor recommends it in your treatment.