General Information on Stelazine
Stelazine is used for treating psychotic disorders like schizophrenia or anxiety. Active ingredient in the medicine is Trifluoperazine, and it belongs to the therapeutic class of phenothiazines. The medicine works by changing actions of certain chemicals in the patient’s brain.
This medicine is not meant for patients having a psychotic disorder related to dementia.
The medicine is available in the form of oral tablets.
Side effects of Stelazine
You should immediately call your doctor if you develop uncontrollable movements or twitching in eyes, face, legs, arms, tongue or lips after taking Stelazine. These may be signs of a serious underlying condition.
The medicine may also lead to heart failure, pneumonia or even sudden death in some patients, especially in elderly patients. Do not buy Stelazine if you have any of the following medical conditions:
- Liver disease
- Brain damage
- Bone marrow depression
- Blood cell disorder such as low white or red blood cell count or low platelets
- Heart disease
- High blood pressure
- Angina or chest pain
- Breathing problem such as asthma or emphysema
- History of seizures
- Adrenal gland tumor
- Enlarged prostate or any urination problem
- Parkinson’s disease
- Hypocalcemia or low calcium in blood
- History of breast cancer
Before you buy Stelazine, inform your doctor if you are pregnant. If taken during the last trimester, the medicine may lead to serious conditions in the new born baby, including breathing problems, withdrawal symptoms, feeding problems, tremors, fussiness and limp or stiff muscles. As this medicine may also pass into breast milk, breast feeding mothers should stop nursing the child during Stelazine treatment.
Some common side effects associated with the drug include:
- Dizziness, anxiety, drowsiness or sleep problems
- Headache or blurred vision
- Stuffy nose or dry mouth
- Breast discharge or swelling
- Weight gain or swelling on feet or hands
- Missed menstrual periods
- Impotence or trouble having orgasm
However, seek medical attention immediately if you develop serious side effects of the drug. These include:
- Stiff muscles, sweating, uneven or fast heartbeat, high fever and confusion
- Tunnel vision, decreased night vision, watery eyes and increased light sensitivity
- Seizures, convulsions or blackouts
- Decreased or stopped urination
- Stomach pain, nausea, jaundice or skin rash
- Easy bruising or bleeding, flu symptoms, sore throat or pale skin
- Joint swelling or pain with swollen glands, fever, chest pain, muscle aches, vomiting, patchy skin color and unusual behavior or thoughts
- Weak pulse, slow heart rate, slow breathing or fainting
Dosage of Stelazine
Usually, the treatment starts with Stelazine 2 to 5mg per day. However, it can be increased to Stelazine 15 to 20 mg or 40mg per day, depending on your response to the treatment.
Do not take Stelazine along with hormonal contraceptives, hormone replacement estrogens, antibiotics, blood thinners, asthma medicines, bronchodilators, diuretics, incontinence medicines, diabetes medicines, insulin, numbing medicines, stimulants, ADHD medicines or medicines used for treating Parkinson’s disease, malaria, nausea, motion sickness or vomiting.