General Information on Surmontil
Surmontil is an antidepressant used for treating depression. Its generic name is Trimipramine, and it belongs to the category of tricyclic antidepressants.
This medicine is available in the form of oral capsules. It works by increasing production of certain natural substances in the patient’s brain, which are responsible for maintaining mental balance.
Side effects of Surmontil
Your doctor will not advise you to buy Surmontil if you are suffering from any of the following medical conditions:
- Enlarged prostate
- Difficulty urinating
- Thyroid disease
- Kidney, liver or heart disease
- Recent dental surgery
- History of heart attack
As the medicine may make you dizzy, you should avoid driving a vehicle or operating a machine during Surmontil treatment. Do not perform any such activities that need complete alertness. Also avoid alcohol intake, as it may enhance the side effect significantly.
Some common side effects of Surmontil include:
- Nausea or vomiting
- Diarrhea or constipation
- Stomach pain
- Drowsiness or dizziness
- Tiredness or weakness
- Anxiety or excitement
- Dry mouth
- Changes in weight or appetite
- Difficulty urinating or frequent urination
- Blurred vision
- Changes in sex ability or drive
- Ringing in ears
- Excessive sweating
- Burning, tingling or pain in feet or hands
Some serious side effects associated with Surmontil include:
- Back, neck and jaw muscle spasms
- Shuffling walk
- Difficulty or slow speech
- Uncontrollable shaking of body
- Sore throat or fever
- Difficulty swallowing or breathing
- Skin rash
- Yellowing of eyes or skin
- Chest pain
- Irregular or pounding heartbeat
Dosage of Surmontil
Usually, your doctor will advise you to take one Surmontil capsule one to three times in a day. Try to take the capsule at almost the same time each day. The dosage and duration of treatment depends on the type and severity of your depression. Usually, you will be advised to take the medicine for around 4 weeks. Do not stop taking the medicine, even if you are feeling well. Complete the full period of prescription.
Initially, your doctor will give you a low dose of Surmontil. It will be increased gradually, depending on your response to the treatment.
Take the medicine exactly as prescribed by your doctor. Do not take it more than prescribed or for longer than prescribed. Doing this will not help your condition in any way, but will only increase chances of developing serious side effects of the drug.
Your doctor will not recommend you to buy Surmontil if you are already taking any of the following medicines:
- Other antidepressants (such as clomipramine, desipramine or imipramine)
- MAO inhibitors (such as isocarboxazid, phenelzine or selegiline)
- Medicines for Parkinson’s disease, irritable bowel movements, urinary problems or motion sickness
- Medicines for treating irregular heartbeats (such as flecainide or quinidine)
- SSRIs (such as fluoxetine or paroxetine)
As Surmontil causes dizziness, you should not take it along with any other medicines that cause the same effect. Such medicines include sedatives, narcotic pain relievers, anti-seizure medicines, tranquilizers, muscle relaxants or sleeping pills.