General Information On Zarontin Syrup
Zarontin Syrup is indicated in the treatment of epilepsy. It is also used to prevent an absence seizure, which is also a form of epilepsy. The medication may be given alone or along with other anti-epileptic medicines.
Ethosuximide, the main active ingredient in the medication, belongs to a group of drugs known as succinimide derivatives antiepileptics. Zarontin Syrup stabilizes the electrical activity in the brain by inhibiting repetitive relaying of electrical signals. This action prevents overstimulation of the brain, which is considered to be one of the causes of epilepsy and also helps prevent seizures.
Zarontin Syrup is a prescription drug indicated to be consumed orally. Each 5ml of Zarontin Syrup contains 250mg Ethosuximide. The drug may cause side effects if used for unintended purposes. Therefore, you should consult your doctor before you buy Zarontin Syrup online.
Side effects of Zarontin Syrup
Zarontin Syrup may cause mild to severe side effects in some people. It is not necessary that every person using the drug will experience some side effect. Some of the side effects associated with Zarontin Syrup include:
- Effect on your intestines and stomach: vomiting, diarrhea, feeling sick, stomach cramps/aches.
- Effect on your kidneys and liver: high protein in the urine or blood traces in the urine.
- Effect on your hands, body and face: weight loss, anorexia, swollen tongue, enlarged gums
- Effect on the reproductive system in women: vaginal bleeding
- Effect on metabolism: decreased appetite
- Effect on your lymphatic system: swelling of the lymph glands
- Effect on your nervous system: hallucinations, dizziness, aggressiveness, nightmares, depression, increased sex drive, shaking, headaches, hyperactivity, abnormal/uncoordinated movements, loss of interest in activities, irritability.
This is not a complete list of side effects. Inform your doctor if any of the above mentioned side effects become bothersome.
Some people may also experience severe side effects such as severe sore throat, fever, or bruising. Some of these side effects may be indicators of serious medical problems. Therefore, stop using the medication and consult your doctor immediately if you notice or experience any severe side effect after using Zarontin Syrup.
Pregnant women, breastfeeding women, and women planning to get pregnant should learn about the risks and benefits of using the drug from their doctor before they buy Zarontin Syrup.
Dosage of Zarontin Syrup
Your doctor will give you specific instructions regarding the dosage. The recommended dosage for adults and children above 6 years of age is two 5mL spoons of Zarontin Syrup once a day. The dosage may be increased to 4 to 6 5mL spoons of Zarontin Syrup once a day.
The dose is incremented by 250mg every 5-7 days during treatment. You may take the medication with or without food
Zarontin Syrup may interact with other medicines you are using and cause side effects. It may interact with drugs such as Phenobarbital, Carbamazepine, Primidone, Sodium Valproate, Phenytoin, Isoniazid, or Methylphenobarbital.
Inform your doctor about every medicine you are taking, which includes prescription medicines, drugs taken without prescription, and herbal supplements before you buy Zarontin Syrup.