General Information on Voltaren XR
Voltaren XR (extended release) is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID for short). This drug is used for providing relief from inflammation caused by certain conditions such as ankylosing spondylitis, osteoarthritis, or rheumatoid arthritis.
A chemical produced by our body, called prostaglandin, is responsible for inflammation. This chemical is produced by an enzyme called cyclooxygenase. Voltaren XR inhibits the activity of this enzyme. As a result the production of prostaglandin is blocked. Reduced levels of prostaglandins in the body, in turn, lead to reduction in inflammation, fever, and pain.
The active ingredient used in this drug is Diclofenac. The inactive ingredients used in this drug are: hydroxypropyl methylcellulose, polyethylene glycol, sucrose, cetyl alcohol, iron oxide, polysorbate, silicon dioxide, povidone, titanium dioxide, talc, and magnesium stearate. You can buy Voltaren XR only if you have a prescription for it.
Voltaren XR is meant for oral administration only. You can buy Voltaren XR online in form of oral tablets. The oral tablets are available in strength, Voltaren XR 100mg.
Side effects of Voltaren XR
This drug may increase your risk to certain life-threatening heart or gastrointestinal disorders. Before you buy Voltaren XR, you should discuss the risks associated with this drug with your healthcare provider.
Diclofenac (generic name of Voltaren XR) is contraindicated in:
- Patients who have had a heart bypass operation or are going to undergo such a procedure
- Patients who are hypersensitive to Diclofenac
Serious side effects of this drug may include:
- Weakness, chest pain, problems with speech, balance, or vision, breath shortness
- Tarry, bloody, or black stools
- Muscle weakness
- Loss of appetite, dark stools or urine, yellow eyes or skin, nausea, itching, pain in the upper stomach
- Burning in the eyes, facial flushness, sore throat, swelling in the tongue or face, fever, skin rash that causes peeling and blistering
Mild side effects of this drug may include:
- Diarrhea, nausea, constipation, mild stomach pain, bloating
- Ringing in the ears
- Nervousness, headache, dizziness
- Blurred vision
Dosage of Voltaren XR
Your doctor will prescribe you the correct Voltaren XR dosage after examining your condition, medical history, and response to the drug. For most medical conditions, the recommended dosage is Voltaren XR 100-200mg per day.
Usually, patients with osteoarthritis are recommended 100mg per day taken in a single dose. The recommended dosage for rheumatoid arthritis is Voltaren 100mg per day. If required, the dosage may be increased 200 mg per day, taken in two dosages of 100mg each.
Here is a list of drugs that can interact with Voltaren XR:
- Blood pressure or heart medications (such as lisinopril, enalapril, amiodarone, quinapril, ramipril, benazepril, and others)
- Other NSAIDs (such as aspirin, naproxen, meloxicam, indomethacin, ibuprofen, celecoxib, and others)
- Medicines that lower cholesterol (such as lovastatin, fenofibrate, or fluvastatin)
- Antifungal drugs
- Water pills (diuretics)
Other drugs that are not listed here may also interact with Voltaren XR. That is why it is necessary that your doctor knows all other drugs that you are taking. Another thing you must do is consult your doctor before taking any new drug. Using these tips you can prevent any unwanted drug interactions during your treatment with Voltaren XR.